Making a Crochet Pattern

I've crocheted several amigurumi from patterns for friends so I thought making an African Grey parrot for a friend would be no big deal.  Unfortunately, there are only a handful of free parrot patterns available on Ravelry and most were too cartoony for my liking.  I decided to make my own pattern after studying a few other bird patterns thinking it would be a piece of cake.  Wrong.  I'm currently on iteration number three of the body and not even close to having a sample I'm happy with.  The first body was about as long as my pointer finger and was way too small.  The second body was about 1.5 times as big as the first body and shaped kind of like a zucchini, but still all wrong.  I went crazy and tried starting at the "butt end" of the bird this time and it's working out a little better, but not a ton.  I've been working on this since the end of June and have had to take several extended breaks out of sheer frustration.  I can't imagine what's going to happen when it's time to work on the tail and the wings since those are the parts I thought would be complicated(not the body).  I guess the point is I wasn't expecting this to be so difficult and frustrating, but at the same time that's to be expected with trial and error.  Hopefully one day you'll see my completed bird here.  Until then, here's uncompleted body #3.